Insurance Requirements for Maryland Vehicles
Did you know Maryland is a mandatory vehicle insurance state? What does this mean for you?
- All Maryland vehicles MUST be insured at ALL times by a vehicle insurance company licensed in Maryland. Your vehicle insurance must cover, at a minimum:
- $30,000 for bodily injury
- $60,000 for 2 or more people
- $15,000 property damage
- Return your license plates to any MVA branch office before you cancel your vehicle insurance. Please note: tag and title companies will charge a fee for this service.
- If you have moved out of state and did not return your license plates, it is important for you to notify the MVA and provide the following information:
- Copy of registration from the state in which the vehicle is currently titled
- Date the vehicle was titled in the current state
- Maryland tag and title number
- If you have not yet titled your vehicle out of state, you must have yourvehicle insurance company provide us with policy information detailing the effective and termination dates.
- If you have moved to Maryland and are continuing vehicle insurance coverage from your previous state of residence, you will need to contact your vehicle insurance company or agent and let them know you need to convert your policy to a Maryland policy. Note: Check to make sure your vehicle insurance company is licensed in Maryland.
FINES AND PENALTIES FOR DRIVING UNINSURED
- $150 fine for first 30 days and $7 for each additional day, up to an annual maximum of $2500 per vehicle.
- Your registration will be suspended; if you drive with a suspended registration, your vehicle may be impounded and you may be ticketed and/or fined.
- Failure to respond to MVA insurance notifications will result in your case being transferred to the Central Collections Unit (CCU).
- Once your case is sent to CCU, fines are subject to a 17% collection fee and your income tax return will be intercepted.
REMEMBER: IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO DRIVE UNINSURED!
Here are the facts about vehicle insurance in the State of Maryland.
The Maryland Automobile Insurance Fund (MAIF) provides automobile insurance to Maryland residents that have been turned down by two insurance companies or cancelled by one. To get more information on how to insure your vehicle, click here to visit MAIF's website.