If you drive a vehicle that is required to be registered in Washington State, you must have one of the following:
The auto insurance policy must have limits of at least:
- $25,000 of bodily injury or death of 1 person in any 1 accident.
- $50,000 of bodily injury or death of any 2 people in any 1 accident.
- $10,000 of injury to or destruction of property of others in any 1 accident.
Required proof of auto insurance
Any time you drive in Washington, you must be prepared to show your auto insurance identification card to law enforcement. You will get this identification card from your auto insurance company when you buy a policy. The card must include all of the following:
- Name of the insurance company.
- Policy number.
- Effective date of the policy.
- Expiration date of the policy.
- Description of the year, make, or model of the insured vehicles, or the name of the insured driver. The word “fleet” may be used for more than 5 vehicles owned by the same person or business.
Failing to show this proof of insurance is a traffic infraction. Knowingly providing false evidence of coverage is a misdemeanor.
Operating a vehicle without the required coverage is a traffic infraction punishable by a fine of at least $450.
You don’t need to have insurance when you operate a vehicle registered as any of the following:
- Motorcycle. (RCW 46.04.330)
- Motor-driven cycle. (RCW 46.04.332)
- Moped. (RCW 46.04.304)
- Horseless carriage over 40 years old (RCW 46.18.255)
- State or publicly-owned vehicle. (RCW 46.16.020)
- Common or contract carrier with the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission.
Vehicles registered in another state
When you drive a vehicle in Washington that is required to be registered in another state, you must have the type of insurance required by that state. You must be able to provide proof of this insurance to law enforcement if requested.
Related laws and rules
- RCW 46.16: Vehicle licenses (defines what vehicles are required to be registered in Washington)
- RCW 46.29.090: Requirements as to policy or bond
- RCW 46.29.630: Self-insurers
- RCW 46.29.550: Money or securities as proof
- RCW 46.30.040: Providing false evidence of financial responsibility—Penalty
- RCW 46.30.030: Insurance identification card
- RCW 46.30.020: Liability insurance or other financial responsibility required — Violations — Exceptions
- WAC 308-106-020: Insurance identification card—Content
- WAC 308-106-030: Insurance identification card—Self-insurance—Certificate of deposit—Bond