Minimum liability coverage amounts are:
- $10,000 for property damage
- $25,000 for the injury or death of one person
- $50,000 for the injury or death of more than one person
Proof of insurance
Drivers and owners of motor vehicles are required to show proof of insurance at traffic stops/accidents if requested by law enforcement. Proof is not necessary for trailers or semi-trailers.
- Operating a motor vehicle without insurance may result in a fine of up to $500.
- Drivers and owners who fail to show proof of insurance at the time of the stop/accident may be fined up to $10.
- Offering proof of insurance that is found to be fraudulent may result in a fine of up to $5,000.
There is no requirement that you provide proof of insurance when you obtain your driver license or are registering a vehicle, unless that information is requested by DMV and is a requirement before reinstatement of a driver license after a suspension or revocation.
If you have additional questions about the minimum amounts required, please contact your insurance agent or the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance.
Driver Eligibility Unit
Email Wisconsin DMV email service
Phone (608) 264-7447