Crystal Cruises Travel Insurance Review
Crystal Cruises is the World’s Most Awarded Luxury Cruise Line and their mission is to be the premier provider of world class luxury. It is difficult to obtain a quote from Crystal Cruises as there is no place to quote online. You must email or call to get information and we had to ask for a quote for travel insurance as it was not included in the original quote for the cruise.
Crystal Cruises offers one choice for cruise travel insurance, Cruise Protection Plan. We have always known that one travel insurance plan will not fit all travelers. We all have different needs and concerns when traveling and should be able to review more than one option. At AardvarkCompare we can easily quote and find plans based on the individual needs of the traveler.
We will review the Crystal Cruises Cruise Protection Plan and look at the coverage, benefits and limits.
- Overview of the Cruise Protection Plan
- Coverage and limits
- Trip Cancellation
- Trip Cancellation For Any Reason
- Trip Interruption
- Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
- Emergency Medical Insurance
- Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Cost of the Cruise Protection Plan
- Alternative travel insurance to Crystal Cruises offering
Overview of Cruise Protection Plan
The Crystal Cruise Protection Plan is underwritten by United States Fire Insurance which is a strong insurance partner. As a matter of fact one of AardvarkCompare’s great travel insurance partners, Travel Insured International, is underwritten by United States Fire Insurance. United States Fire Insurance has an AM Best rating of “A” which is an excellent rating.
Coverage and Limits
– As in all travel insurance, Crystal Cruise insurance offers trip cancellation benefits at 100% refund of the pre-paid trip costs if the traveler cancels for a covered reason:
- Your or a Family Member’s, or a Traveling Companion’s, or a Business Partner’s death, which occurs before departure on Your Trip
- Your or a Family Member’s, or a Traveling Companion’s, or a Business Partner’s covered Sickness or Injury, which: a) occurs before departure on Your Trip, b) requires Medical Treatment at the time of cancellation resulting in medically imposed restrictions, as certified by a Legally Qualified Physician, and c) and prevents Your participation in the Trip;
- You or Your Traveling Companion being hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury (notice of jury duty must be received after Your Effective Date) served with a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action in which You or Your Traveling Companion is not a party (except law enforcement officers);
- Your or Your Traveling Companion’s primary place of residence being rendered uninhabitable by fire, flood, burglary or other Natural Disaster
- You or Your Traveling Companion being directly involved in a traffic accident, substantiated by a police report, while en route to Your scheduled point of departure
This is a very short list of reasons to cancel compared to other travel insurance plans found through the wider travel insurance market. If the traveler must cancel due to one of the reasons listed above, 100% of the insured pre-paid costs will be refunded in cash.
Most other travel insurance plans will offer so many more covered reasons to cancel. For example, this list comes from one of the policies offered on AardvarkCompare:
- Your, Your Family Member’s, Your Traveling Companion’s, Your Traveling Companion’s Family Member, Your Business Partner’s or Your Business Partners Family Member’s death, which occurs before departure on Your Trip;
- Your, Your Family Member’s, Your Traveling Companion’s, Your Traveling Companion’s Family Member, Your Business Partner’s or Your Business Partners Family Member’s covered Sickness or Injury, which: a) occurs before departure on Your Trip, b) requires Medical Treatment at the time of cancellation resulting in medically imposed restrictions, as certified by a Legally Qualified Physician, and c) and prevents Your participation in the Trip
- You or Your Traveling Companion being hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury (notice of jury duty must be received after Your Effective Date), served with a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action in which You or Your Traveling Companion is not a party (except law enforcement officers);
- Your or Your Traveling Companion’s primary place of residence or destination being rendered uninhabitable and remaining uninhabitable during Your scheduled Trip by fire, flood, burglary or other Natural Disaster. Your or Your Traveling Companion’s place of employment is rendered unsuitable for business due to fire, flood, burglary or other Natural Disaster and You and/or Your Traveling Companion are required to work as a result.
- a documented theft of passports or visas;
- a permanent transfer of employment of 250 miles or more by You or Your Traveling Companion by the employer from whom You or Your Traveling Companion are employed on Your Effective Date which requires Your or Your Traveling Companion’s principal residence to be relocated;
- You or Your Traveling Companion being directly involved in a traffic accident, substantiated by a police report, while en route to Your scheduled point of departure;
- unannounced Strike that causes complete cessation of services for at least 24 consecutive hours of the Common Carrier on which You are scheduled to travel;
- Inclement Weather that causes complete cessation of services for at least 24 consecutive hours of the Common Carrier on which You are scheduled to travel;
- You or Your Traveling Companion or Your Family Member is in the military and called to emergency duty for a national disaster other than war;
- involuntary employer termination or layoff of You or a Traveling Companion. Employment must have been with the same employer for at least 1 continuous year;
- a Terrorist Incident that occurs within 30 days of Your Scheduled Departure Date in a city listed on the itinerary of Your Trip;
- revocation of Your or Your Traveling Companion’s previously granted military leave or reassignment. Official written revocation/re-assignment by a supervisor or commanding officer of the appropriate branch of service will be required;
- Bankruptcy or Default of an airline, cruise line, tour operator or other travel provider (other than the Travel Supplier, tour operator, travel agency, organization or firm from whom You purchased Your Travel Arrangements) causing a complete cessation of travel services more than 14 days following Your Effective Date.
- Your family or friends living abroad with whom You are planning to stay are unable to provide accommodations due to life threatening illness, life threatening injury or death of one of them;
- You, Your Traveling Companion or a Family Member traveling with You is required to work during the Trip. A written statement by an unrelated company official and/or the human resources department demonstrating revocation of previously approved time off will be required.;
- mandatory evacuation ordered by local government authorities at Your Trip destination (or official public evacuation notices or recommendations without a mandatory evacuation order issued) due to adverse weather or Natural Disaster;
- felonious assault of You or Your Traveling Companion within 10 days of the Scheduled Departure Date;
- You or Your Traveling Companion are directly involved in the merger of Your employer or the acquisition of Your employer by another company.
- a cancellation of Your Trip within 48 hours of Your Scheduled Departure Date and time if Your Trip destination is under a hurricane warning issued by the NOAA National Hurricane Center, provided the cancellation of Your Trip occurs more than 14 days following Your Effective Date of coverage for the Trip Cancellation Benefits; Trip Cancellation For Any Reason – Cancel For Any Reason is a part of some Cruise insurance plans. Many cruise lines will offer 75% refund in the form of future cruise credits if the traveler cancels for a reason other than those listed in the policy. Crystal Cruises does not offer this feature in their Cruise Protection Plan. There is a very limited list of reasons for canceling a trip with this policy.
– Crystal Cruise Protection Plan offers reimbursement of up to 150% of the trip costs if a traveler must interrupt their trip for a reason listed in the cruise insurance policy. This is the same small list as we saw for trip cancellation. Why so much reimbursement?
Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits to reimburse You for the Prepaid Payments for unused non-refundable land or water Travel Arrangements plus the Additional Transportation Cost paid:
a) to join Your Trip if You must depart after Your Scheduled Departure Date or travel via alternate travel arrangements by the most direct route possible to reach Your Trip destination; or
b) to rejoin Your Trip, or transport You to Your originally scheduled return destination, if You must interrupt Your Trip after departure, each by the most direct route possible.
So, the extra 50% will help with the additional costs to get home early if you must interrupt your trip for a covered reason.
Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
This travel insurance plan will not cover pre-existing medical conditions, but Crystal Cruises will reimburse 100% of the cost of the cruise in the form of future travel credits if a traveler must cancel due to a pre-existing condition. They call this the Cruise Credit Rollover and it must be used within 12 months of the date of cancellation. It would be nice to have the cash back, but this is much better than losing the trip altogether. This is a great benefit that is offered by Crystal Cruises and is a separate benefit not offered as part of the actual insurance benefits. Nicely done Crystal Cruises!
Emergency Medical Insurance
– Emergency Medical Insurance covers the costs associated with medical treatment for emergency illness or injury while on a covered trip. The Crystal Cruises travel insurance offers $20k of medical coverage. AardvarkCompare recommends that if traveling outside the United States a traveler should have at least $100k in medical coverage. We feel $20k is much too low of a limit for anyone, after all, this is your health we’re talking about.
Emergency Medical Evacuation
– This benefit will transport a traveler to a facility capable of handling the particular medical emergency, and once stabilized this benefit can medically repatriate the traveler home to a local hospital. We recommend having at least $250k of Emergency Medical Evacuation. The Crystal Cruises trip insurance has $50k which is quite low. An emergency evacuation could be an ambulance ride to a facility in a neighboring city, or it can be a flight in an air ambulance to another country with a physician at your side. So, an evacuation can be quite costly.
What does the Crystal Cruise Protection plan cost?
We asked for a quote for a couple aged 55 and 60, for a 7 night cruise starting in Vienna with a trip cost of $4,910 per person ($9,820 total). The cost of the Crystal Cruises insurance was $740. We think this is a high price for the benefits offered. When we quoted through the AardvarkCompare site we found many plans with less cost and more benefits.
Alternative Travel Insurance Plans
We used the same trip information that we gave to Crystal Cruises to obtain quotes on AardvarkCompare.
This table shows some of the differences between Crystal Cruises trip insurance and two plans offered on AardvarkCompare. At first glance Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption look identical. But Crystal Cruise Protection Plan only allows cancellation and interruption for the five reasons listed earlier. Seven Corners Roundtrip Choice offers twelve reasons for cancellation and interruption, and iTravelInsured Travel SE allows cancellation and interruption for twenty three different reasons.
And again, a huge difference is in the travel medical insurance and medical evacuation coverage. AardvarkCompare recommends carrying at least $100k in medical coverage and at least $250k in medical evacuation when traveling outside of the United States. Crystal Cruise Protection Plan has $20k in medical insurance and $50k in medical evacuation, very low amounts no matter where you travel.
Have questions? We would love to hear from you. Send us a chat, Send us a Mail or alternatively Call Us at (650) 492-6298.
Recent AardvarkCompare Travel Insurance Customer Reviews
I Panicked When I Discovered
I panicked when I discovered the Travel Insurance I had through Expedia had expired when I changed my flight reservation.
When I went to renew I was told I couldn’t.
I discovered Aardvark on my AARP site and I was excited I could purchase a an even better travel plan with coverage starting with my trip departure, at a cost I could afford.
I was confused with the initial site and was Mr. Breeze reached out to me for clarification.
He explained the policy more thoroughly and addressed all my concerns, can’t get any better then that!
Thank You Aardvark and thank you Jonathan for your assistance.
I can go on my trip now knowing I’ll be covered for medical emergencies, and then some.
Good Choices, Well Explained
I liked the way insurance was explained. I had read an article your company had written explaining Expedia trip coverage versus other choices.
I used this advice to make the best choice for me and my traveling companions. That choice was to take a policy that provided much better medical and evacuation primary care.
Your site allowed comparisons, and I think I got the best value for my money. I don’t like constant follow up emails. You could back off a bit!!