Oceania Cruises Travel Insurance Review
Oceania Cruises has built their cruise experiences for mature and discerning travelers and is known for the finest culinary experience at sea, authentic destination experiences, and a warm and luxurious ambiance on every voyage. With luxurious cabins, award winning food and high class service one would think Oceania Cruises trip insurance would protect their passengers with the same care they take with their food, service and ship. AardvarkCompare found that Oceania Cruises Travel Insurance coverage lacks in many areas.
In this review:
- An overview of the Oceania Cruises Travel Insurance
- A look at coverage and limits
- Cost for the Oceania Cruises Trip Insurance
- Some alternative Travel Insurance choices
- Our conclusion
Overview of Oceania Cruises Travel Insurance
Oceania Cruises offers their Travel Protection Program which is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Transamerica is a strong insurance partner backing many travel insurance companies.
The Oceania Cruises Insurance policy offers many of the benefits and coverage found in travel insurance policies on AardvarkCompare. Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Medical Insurance, and Medical Evacuation are all included. However, we need to look at the limits of these common benefits.
Coverage and limits
Oceania cruises has the following cancellation penalties:
|91-120 Days Prior to departure||$250 per person administration fee|
|76-90 Days Prior to departure||25% of Fare|
|61-75 Days Prior to departure||50% of Fare|
|31-60 Days Prior to departure||75% of Fare|
|0-30 Days Prior to departure||100% of Fare|
These penalties are waived with the cancellation benefit in the Travel Protection Program if the trip is canceled for any of the covered reasons listed in the policy.
Trip Cancellation – this coverage protects the traveler from losing the pre-paid and nonrefundable trip costs if he must cancel the trip due to covered reasons listed in the policy. Oceania Cruises Travel Insurance has a short list of covered reasons:
- your, an Immediate Family Member’s, Traveling Companion’s, or Business Partner’s Sickness, Injury or death or Other Covered Events as defined, that occur(s) before departure on your Covered Cruise. The Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the plan; b) require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise is canceled; and c) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you from taking your Covered Cruise.
- being directly involved in a documented traffic accident while en route to departure;
- being hijacked, Quarantined, required to serve on a jury, or required by a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action, provided you, an Immediate Family Member traveling with you or a Traveling Companion is not: 1) a party to the legal action, or 2) appearing as a law enforcement officer;
- having your Home made uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster.
This is just too short of a list of reasons to cancel. AardvarkCompare recommends that cruise insurance policies also include:
- Your or Your Traveling Companion’s primary place of residence or destination being rendered uninhabitable and remaining uninhabitable during Your scheduled Trip by fire, flood, burglary or other Natural Disaster.
- Unannounced Strike that causes complete cessation of services for at least 12 consecutive hours of the Common Carrier on which You are scheduled to travel;
- Inclement Weather that causes complete cessation of services for at least 12 consecutive hours of the Common Carrier on which You are scheduled to travel;
- You or Your Traveling Companion or Your Family Member is in the military and called to emergency duty for a national disaster other than war;
- involuntary employer termination or layoff of You or a Traveling Companion. Employment must have been with the same employer for at least 1 continuous year;
- a Terrorist Incident that occurs within 30 days of Your Scheduled Departure Date in a city listed on the itinerary of Your Trip;
- revocation of Your or Your Traveling Companion’s previously granted military leave or reassignment. Official written revocation/re-assignment by a supervisor or commanding officer of the appropriate branch of service will be required;
- Your family or friends living abroad with whom You are planning to stay are unable to provide accommodations due to life threatening illness, life threatening injury or death of one of them;
- felonious assault of You or Your Traveling Companion within 10 days of the Scheduled Departure Date;
- a permanent transfer of employment of 250 miles or more;
- You, Your Traveling Companion or a Family Member traveling with You is required to work during the Trip. A written statement by an unrelated company official and/or the human resources department demonstrating revocation of previously approved time off will be required.;
- You or Your Traveling Companion or Family Member Traveling with You are directly involved in the merger of Your employer or the acquisition of Your employer by another company.
- Your or Your Traveling Companion’s place of employment is rendered unsuitable for business due to fire, flood, burglary or other Natural Disaster and You and/or Your Traveling Companion are required to work as a result.
So many things can pop up to cause a traveler to cancel a trip, although trip insurance can’t cover all of the reasons, it should at least cover those listed above.
Trip Cancellation For Any Reason – in our reviews of other cruise lines we have found that many of them include Cancel For Any Reason. This benefit allows the traveler to cancel for all of the reasons not already listed on the policy. Most cruise insurance plans will reimburse up to 75% of the pre-paid and non-refundable trip costs in the form of cruise credits. Oceania Cruises Travel Insurance does not include a Cancel For Any Reason benefit, so the traveler has only a limited amount of reasons to cancel.
Trip Cancellation For Work Reasons
There are several different work related reasons to cancel a trip and from.
- Your or Your Traveling Companion’s place of employment is rendered unsuitable for business due to fire, flood, burglary or other Natural Disaster and You and/or Your Traveling Companion are required to work as a result
- a permanent transfer of employment of 250 miles or more by You or Your Traveling Companion by the employer from whom You or Your Traveling Companion are employed on Your Effective Date which requires Your or Your Traveling Companion’s principal residence to be relocated;
- involuntary employer termination or layoff of You or a Traveling Companion. Employment must have been with the same employer for at least 1 continuous year
- You, Your Traveling Companion or a Family Member traveling with You is required to work during the Trip. A written statement by an unrelated company official and/or the human resources department demonstrating revocation of previously approved time off will be required.
None of the above work related reasons are covered under the Oceania Cruises travel insurance. So, if a traveler is still in the work force, it is best to find a plan that covers the work issues listed above.
Trip Interruption – this benefit will reimburse the unused portion of your trip if you have to interrupt your trip and get home for any of the cancellation reasons listed in the trip insurance policy. It can also help with the added expense of getting home before your scheduled return date.
The Oceania Cruises trip insurance plans states that up to 100% of the trip cost listed in the policy, they will pay for:
- the additional transportation expenses by the most direct route from the point you interrupted your Covered Cruise: a) to the next scheduled destination where you can catch up to your Covered Cruise; or (b) to the final destination of your Covered Cruise;
- the additional transportation expenses incurred by you by the most direct route to reach your original Covered Cruise destination if you are delayed and leave after the Scheduled Departure Date. However, the benefit payable under (1) and (2) above will not exceed the cost of a one-way economy air fare (or first class, if the original tickets were first class) by the most direct route less any refunds paid or payable for your unused original tickets.
- reasonable additional accommodation and transportation expenses (up to $100 per day) incurred to remain near a covered traveling Immediate Family Member or Traveling Companion who is hospitalized during your Cruise.
Other policies AardvarkCompare has reviewed offers up to 150% of the trip cost listed in the policy, which would give a higher amount to get you home quickly in an emergency.
Medical Insurance – the medical coverage will cover the cost associated with seeking medical treatment for an emergency illness or accidental injury. AardvarkCompare recommends carrying at least $100k in medical coverage if traveling outside the United States. Oceania Cruises Travel Protection Program offers $10k for Accident Medical Expense and $10K for Sickness Medical Expense. Basically, the traveler is covered for $10k because most issues are either an accident or an illness and not both. We feel this is far too low for medical coverage overseas. We would have no peace of mind with such poor coverage.
Emergency Medical Evacuation – this benefit will cover expenses incurred for emergency transportation to a facility able to treat your medical emergency. The Oceania cruise insurance covers expenses up to $25k and covers the following:
- expenses incurred by you for Physician-ordered emergency medical evacuation, including medically appropriate transportation and necessary medical care en route, to the nearest suitable Hospital, when you are critically ill or injured and no suitable local care is available, subject to the Program Medical Advisors’ prior approval;
- expenses incurred for non-emergency medical evacuation, including medically appropriate transportation and medical care en route, to a Hospital or to your place of residence, when deemed medically necessary by the attending Physician, subject to the Program Medical Advisors’ prior approval;
- In no event will all benefits paid for Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation expenses exceed the coverage limit of $25,000
AardvarkCompare recommends carrying at least $250k in emergency medical evacuation coverage if traveling outside the United States. $25k is an extremely low limit to offer. Again, this is a critical coverage to have in place, and Oceania Travel Insurance is not suitable, in our opinion.
Pre-existing Medical Conditions – according to the Oceania Cruises Travel Protection Program a pre-existing condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you, your Traveling Companion, or Immediate Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you:
1. received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or
2. took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.
Item (2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this policy.
Oceania Cruises travel insurance specifically excludes any pre-existing condition. Which means there will be no Cancellation, Interruption or Medical coverage if a loss occurs which is caused by a pre-existing condition as defined in the policy.
All comprehensive trip insurance plans exclude pre-existing medical conditions. However, most policies will waive this exclusion and cover pre-existing conditions if the insurance is purchased within a certain period of time after the first payment or deposit is placed on the trip. Usually this time sensitive benefit is available if purchased within 15-21 days of the initial payment. We recommend having this coverage if possible as it does not cost anything additional, it is included if you purchase within the time sensitive period and is not included if you are outside of the time sensitive period. AardvarkCompare offers many plans with this pre-existing condition waiver. The final, critical, coverage that most travelers wish to have – a Medical Waiver. It is a pity that Oceania Cruise Travel Insurance does not include a Medical Waiver. The vast majority of comprehensive travel insurance policies will provide a Medical Waiver to those travelers who book a policy promptly, and insure all their non-refundable trip costs.
Cost of Oceania Cruises Travel Protection Program
We requested a quote for 2 travelers aged 55 and 60 taking a 12 day cruise costing a total of $9,188. The cruise insurance offered by Oceania cruises costs $459.90 per person, a total of $919.80. We did a comparison on AardvarkCompare and found much better coverage at a much better value.
Travel Insurance Alternatives to Oceania Cruises
We used the same trip information used in the Oceania Cruises quote for the comparison on AardvarkCompare and found the iTravelInsured Travel SE and the Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector a better value with better coverage.
It takes less than a minute to compare travel insurance options. Please, take the time to compare cruise insurance prior to signing up with Oceania.
The Oceania Cruises trip insurance plan lacks in many areas. It does have a strong insurance partner, but the cost and low coverage limits are not beneficial nor are they valuable to the traveler. We spend a lot of money on cruises and we sometimes book and pay for them months or over a year in advance of the departure date. We should protect the investment properly. AardvarkCompare lets you quickly get a quote for your specific travel details and shows a great set of product choices available from some of the top rated travel insurance companies in the United States.
What if I go directly to the travel insurance company, will I get a better deal?
No, you will not get a better deal. Travel Insurance is strictly regulated, and the policy rates are filed with each state. That means no one can sell a plan for more or less than the filed rates. So, AardvarkCompare guarantees you will not find a lower price anywhere on any of the plans found on our site.
Have questions? We would love to hear from you. Send us a chat, Send us a Mail or alternatively Call Us at (650) 492-6298.
Recent AardvarkCompare Travel Insurance Customer Reviews
I Panicked When I Discovered
I panicked when I discovered the Travel Insurance I had through Expedia had expired when I changed my flight reservation.
When I went to renew I was told I couldn’t.
I discovered Aardvark on my AARP site and I was excited I could purchase a an even better travel plan with coverage starting with my trip departure, at a cost I could afford.
I was confused with the initial site and was Mr. Breeze reached out to me for clarification.
He explained the policy more thoroughly and addressed all my concerns, can’t get any better then that!
Thank You Aardvark and thank you Jonathan for your assistance.
I can go on my trip now knowing I’ll be covered for medical emergencies, and then some.
Good Choices, Well Explained
I liked the way insurance was explained. I had read an article your company had written explaining Expedia trip coverage versus other choices.
I used this advice to make the best choice for me and my traveling companions. That choice was to take a policy that provided much better medical and evacuation primary care.
Your site allowed comparisons, and I think I got the best value for my money. I don’t like constant follow up emails. You could back off a bit!!