What Is Travel Insurance - 2020 Review
When we are offered insurance when booking a trip, it is wise to ask the question: "What is Travel Insurance, and why do I need it?" When you are planning a trip or vacation you really should think about travel insurance at the same time. In doing so you are creating a safety net to protect you, your family, and your financial investments before, during and after the trip.
Most of us have some form of Home & Health Insurance to protect us and our family. Invariably, this is not going to offer any significant coverage when traveling. Health networks are no longer available. Trip cancellations are not covered.
Just as we cover ourselves at home, it makes complete sense to cover ourselves when traveling. It need not be expensive, requires only a few minutes of our time, and can make the world of difference.
What does Travel Insurance cover?
While specific policies will vary, travel insurance generally covers:
- money lost due to trip cancellations, interruptions, or delays that are caused by a covered reason
- emergency medical care and evacuations in the event of unexpected illness or injury
- a 24/7 support team to call for help, to locate medical care, arrange transportation and more.
Now, all of those probably made sense, but what is a covered reason?
What is a Covered Reason within Travel Insurance?
Each travel insurance policy will have slightly different language, so it is always worth checking, but this is what you should expect to see.
Trip cancellation and trip interruption cover should include the following:
- Sickness, injury and death of you, your travel companion, your destination host, or your family
- Jury duty, subpoenaed, etc.
- Destruction of primary residence
- Traffic accident while en route to your destination
- Terrorist attack in your destination
- Revocation of military leave
- Worker’s strike
- Weather events
- Bankruptcy of your travel supplier
- Being terminated or laid off from a job
- Natural disaster
- You discover you’re pregnant
- A family member is giving birth
- The school year is unexpectedly extended
Anytime you buy insurance, you should understand its cover and limitations _before _you buy.
When Should You Buy Travel Insurance?
For the greatest protection, you should buy travel insurance as soon after you book your trip as possible. Most travel insurance providers offer extra benefits if purchased within a certain time frame.
Almost every travel insurance plan that we see needs to have the travelers putting trip insurance in place within 14 days of the initial trip deposit.
This way, you will have any waiver for pre-existing medical conditions that exists in your plan, as well as the possible opportunity to include Cancel for Any Reason cover.
As always, at AardvarkCompare we recommend that a traveler consider travel insurance. You can get an anonymous quote in seconds, and compare dozens of the top travel plans from many of the largest US travel insurers, saving you time and money finding the right travel plan for your needs.
Travel Insurance Price Certainty
What many people do not know is that they won’t find the same trip insurance plans available at a better price – all down to price certainty anti-discriminatory law in the US.
Travel Insurance Comparison – Will I Pay More Buying Travel Insurance from a Comparison Website?
In short – a trip insurance quote for an insurance plan that you see from AardvarkCompare is the same price you would see from the insurance carrier direct – we are not allowed to compete on price for ‘filed’ insurance products. No one is. You are certain to get best value from us.